50 miles on 1/2 tank of gas

NooStang

Mar 15, 2024
Tn
Cross posting

'87 5spd 5.0...guessing at 2.73 stock gears based on performance.

Doesn't seem to be running rich (no bad smells or black smoke) and I can't find a fuel leak. Anyone have this kind of fuel economy? Did all gaskets on the plenum and the plenum-intake gasket. Idle is mostly smooth and has a nice set or freshly cleaned/tested 19lb injectors. New IAC valve. Set TPS to .98v. Smoke tested and found a tiny bit of smoke from the EGR valve, but when I sprayed carb cleaner around EGR theres is no change at all to the idle. Did the idle reset three times and cannot get idle lower than 900rpm.

Runs and sounds like a stock cam.

Has slight intermittent miss at 900rpm.

Pulled KOEO codes and got nothing unusual.

Replaced all of the vacuum hoses when I did the gaskets.

Maybe intake gasket?

Fuel gauge seems to be working as I had it on 1/8 tank when I got the car about a month ago. When I filled the tank it took about 30 minutes to finally reach full, but it seems to be accurate.

Did have an issue where it died at a stoplight, but restarted fine. Shortly thereafter(1 mile) it would intermittently not respond to changes in the accelerator pedal. Seemed to be OK when I kept the RPMs over 2000. This was after being in city traffic for about 30 minutes. Car temp was stable in the lower 1/3 of temp gauge during the drive.

• Sponsors (?)

It's hard to say as you don't really know how many gallons of gas you have used in the 50 miles. You can't base it on the gas gauge. Who knows how accurate rhe gauge is.

Reactions: 1 user
I probably use 1/4 tank of gas every time i take my car out for a 5-10 mile cruise. Driving style plays a huge role, and I certainly don't drive my car for fuel economy.

BTW, EGR tends to often leak. This portion of the engine system is not under vacuum so it's not a vac leak. It's actually under positive pressure as engine gases are routed to the egr valve to be pumped into the intake. Any minor leak here doesn't effect performance. Of course a major leak is pushing exhaust gas into your engine bay.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like somethings wrong to me. You can put just over 16gal of fuel in the 15.5-rated gallon tank. So, you can get a good idea of how accurate your gauge is. I'm usually just hitting the top white gas gauge line at 70-90 miles.

So, you have atock 2.73s and your speedo is accurate?

I've never done worse than about 16mpg for a tank in any car I can remember. Lately, in my H/C/I daily with a decent blend of highway and city, I'm getting about 20. It has gearing similar to a 2.73 car.

Thanks for all the replies

I refilled with 7.95 gallons of fuel. Calculated out to 8.025mpg. With idle time maybe 11mpg. I am not super easy on gas pedal, which is part of the problem.

I did swap out the 21/22# leaky injectors for a set of rebuilt 19s about 45 miles into that tank of fuel (64.2 miles total travel on trip). Also installed a ford ignition module.

Verified speedo is correct with GPS. Sure seems like 2.73 to me.

Certainly something wrong, but I would expect at 8-12mpg to have burning eyes standing behind the car, but it just doesn't smell rich or have black exhaust smoke. If this has a 15.5 gallon tank then it had 1/2 tank of fuel. Must be the gauge or sender messed up. After burning the 7.95 gallons of fuel the gauge read 1/8th.

I need to pull and check plugs soon.

Last edited:
I used to get 6mpg with this car back in High School.... The fuel gauge moved like the tach did.....
DSCF0169.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
21# to 19# injectors. Did you change the mass airflow sensor ? Burning that much fuel is a lot for a mustang. Could be O2 sensors, or a ton of other things. You need to pull the codes from computer.