Forced Induction Charcoal canister.. boost..

Kid wita 5oh

I'm definitely not in the original hole
Founding Member
Nov 5, 2000
Saugus, MA
A random thought popped in my head today while I was running ac lines(fathead garage kit)....
Will I need a check valve in the hose from the plenum to the charcoal canister ? (Will be 10-12 psi boost)
Could it damage the canister, or worst case, pressurize the tank?

• Sponsors (?)

A good one way check valve will work to keep boost from going un the canister. There should be a solenoid on that vacuum line. I don't remember if the solenoid is usually open or closed.
Screenshot_20240503_231026_Chrome.jpg

So I'm slow sometimes ...in also installing a Terminator X system so the stock solenoid will be no more....
Do I just let the canister vent to atmosphere, delete it, or use a check valve?

@Mustang5L5 any input? ....

I've done some reading and I take it I don't want almost constant vacuum on the canister/tank due to how the stock solenoid pulses...

I don't really care about the gas smell potential but if the canister vented to atmosphere will help that I'll leave it.
Or will the canister get clogged up with a vac source to evacuate it?

I have run my charcoal cannister alongside my Kenne Bell since day 1, without modification of any kind. It carried over to the new engine and is still operating today.

I don't think you need to do anything at all. It's not like you're running up and down the streets in full boost all the time. I probably spend more time in the [boost range] with the Kenne Bell than just about any centri or turbo build. It still passed its last sniffer test with no issues. Full disclaimer: It's been 5 years since the last time it was tested.

Reactions: 1 user
Leave it as is. The canister is actually vented internally through the charcoal. Disconnect the vac line after the solenoid and plug it The pressure in the tank should self-relieve through the internal vent (the caps on top) without issue. This is what i plan on doing with my MS as the TermX has no logic to control it as well. You can try and create an output to open/close the solenoid based on the factory logic. I used to have this logic down, and it's quite complex in terms of the conditions in which the charcoal canister does pull fumes into the engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Leave it as is. The canister is actually vented internally through the charcoal. Disconnect the vac line after the solenoid and plug it The pressure in the tank should self-relieve through the internal vent (the caps on top) without issue. This is what i plan on doing with my MS as the TermX has no logic to control it as well. You can try and create an output to open/close the solenoid based on the factory logic. I used to have this logic down, and it's quite complex in terms of the conditions in which the charcoal canister does pull fumes into the engine.

Perfect that's what I was wondering