pushrod 5.0 (MILD/ Torque) turbo build for an old scout II help

vz58

Apr 21, 2024
Central NC
Hello all, I have had my 67 fastback gta since 1984....but this thread is about a push rod 5.0 for my daily driver 77 scout II and I need some advice.

The Scout II is heavy, I want a daily driver that is low revving but fun to drive. When I go to pass on a country road or merge I want to do it without struggling. My other daily is a 22 Mustang GT so I don't need a "thrill" or make it "scream" vehicle Scout II. I do off road a little bit and the low end "umpf" is where its at.

Weight 4600 LBS
Axle ratios 3.07
33" tires
5 speed NV4500 transmission.

The motor:
5.0 HO (1989)
Holly Terminator X
static compression 9.3:1
AFR 165 heads
Cam Comp 35-512-8 camshaft
adv 258/264
.050 206/121
lift .480/.480
LSA 114
TMOSS style ported gt40 lower
Gt 40 upper
ADDED 2" spacer between upper and lower intake (again aiming for torque)
65 mm throttle body

Turbo
Compressor side:
trim 47
induc 66
exducer 96

exhaust side
trim 85
induc 80
exducer 73
A/R .91

Air to water intercooler (Scouts are very tight in front of the motor so air to air would be difficult)
5-6 PSI max boost using an electronic controlled waste gate

BBK unequal headers turned around for the turbo.
3" exhaust to muffler then (2) 2.25" exhaust out back

I plan on using E85 for this truck.

Thoughts on the combination for my goals? The motor is together so it might be a little late....

Does anyone have suggestions on starting point for timing etc?

• Sponsors (?)

Hello all, I have had my 67 fastback gta since 1984....but this thread is about a push rod 5.0 for my daily driver 77 scout II and I need some advice.

The Scout II is heavy, I want a daily driver that is low revving but fun to drive. When I go to pass on a country road or merge I want to do it without struggling. My other daily is a 22 Mustang GT so I don't need a "thrill" or make it "scream" vehicle Scout II. I do off road a little bit and the low end "umpf" is where its at.

Weight 4600 LBS
Axle ratios 3.07
33" tires
5 speed NV4500 transmission.

The motor:
5.0 HO (1989)
Holly Terminator X
static compression 9.3:1
AFR 165 heads
Cam Comp 35-512-8 camshaft
adv 258/264
.050 206/121
lift .480/.480
LSA 114
TMOSS style ported gt40 lower
Gt 40 upper
ADDED 2" spacer between upper and lower intake (again aiming for torque)
65 mm throttle body

Turbo
Compressor side:
trim 47
induc 66
exducer 96

exhaust side
trim 85
induc 80
exducer 73
A/R .91

Air to water intercooler (Scouts are very tight in front of the motor so air to air would be difficult)
5-6 PSI max boost using an electronic controlled waste gate

BBK unequal headers turned around for the turbo.
3" exhaust to muffler then (2) 2.25" exhaust out back

I plan on using E85 for this truck.

Thoughts on the combination for my goals? The motor is together so it might be a little late....

Does anyone have suggestions on starting point for timing etc?
I forgot to mention I had a 1990 Bronco with the 5.8 and it was a DOG.... I loved the truck, hated the weak motor and want to avoid this again. It killed the joy of driving that old truck.

An m90 really wouldn't have been worth the effort with afr heads.
My Saleen explorer 5.0 had an m90 (which was only briefly available for explorers only). I even had it ported.
When the restriction goes down, you need more boost and it can only be stretched so far.
You would have gotten torque from it, but most likely just a few more hp than you are probably making NA.

Is this a running and driving project? How far along is it?
You should post pictures, everything these days seems to be an LS swap, so it would be nice to see something with a pushrod 5.0.

These are shipping again but I would [still] call them first:

This is torque [Right Fookin' Meow].

Ask me how I know... :coff:

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
1000016861.jpg